Interpretations and Divisions
We live in a denominational world today that is so divided that most believe it is okay to interpret the bible how he or she feels. However, there is a problem with this. If someone were to ask each denomination how to be saved, a fight would break out. This is because some would say "faith only", others would say "repent, and you are born again" while some may even say "you need to be baptized". However, even the subject of baptism is debated among the denominations. Therefore, are all these denominations beliefs respected by God? Or is something wrong?
- 25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.
- 17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:
- 18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
- 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
- 11 For there is no respect of persons with God.
- 12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
- 48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Matthew 7:21 -23
- 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
- 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
- 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Sadly, many people decided to make their own private interpretation.
2 Peter 3:16-18
- 16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
(wrest - to twist or turn)
- 17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
- 18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
After a period of time these private interpretations become traditions of men.
Matthew 15:3-9 (read through 9)
- 3: But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?
- 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Some people that call themselves Christians may try to argue that their own interpretation doesn’t hurt anyone. However, besides hurting themselves, they are also causing divisions.
What does the apostle Paul say about divisions...
1 Corinthians 1:10-13
- 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
- 11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
- 12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
- 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
Is Christ divided?
- 18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
- 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
- 20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
- 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
- 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
- 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
As the Father and Son are one, so must we be.
- 5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:
- 6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
- 27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
- 16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
- 17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
- 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
- 19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
I Peter 3:8
- 8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
Therefore, can we interpret the bible?
2 Timothy 2:15
- 15: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
If we are rightly dividing the word of truth then no private interpretation should exist.
2 Peter 1:20;
- 20: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
- 21: For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Finally, if we are not walking by the same rule (Philippians 3:16), speaking the same thing (1 Corinthians 1:10), and likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. (Philippians 2:2); then we are divided.
According to Matthew 12:25b "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:"
All passages come from the Holy Bible, King James Version (1611)