Answers to a Jehovah Witness
First and foremost
- Remember 2 John 1:10-11
- Also, the bible they will use is the "New World Translation" (NWT), created in 1950 by Jehovah Witnesses for Jehovah Witnesses.
- If any questions arise about translations refer to the Greek and Hebrew texts (lexicons help) to see the truth. (ex. John 1:1, Word was God (God = theos)
False prophets (Who is Charles Taze Russell according to biblical definition?)
- Deuteronomy 18:21-22 - How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
- Charles Russell proclaimed the resurrection would take place in 1878.
- Matthew 24:35-39 - of that day and hour knoweth no man...
- Jeremiah 14:14 - prophets prophesy lies in my name
- 2 Peter 2:1-3 - ...who secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
- 1 John 4:1 - test the spirits, whether they are of God...
Are we missing something?
In September 10, 1910, the Watchtower printed an article on (p. 298) that stated without the Watchtower hierarchy, the slaves would pass into oblivion as sheep without a shepherd. In other words, if a man lays Russell's books down and reads the Bible only! "Within two years he goes into darkness!"
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17 - ...the man of God may be perfect...
- 2 Peter 1:3 - has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness
- Not will give, but has given (present tense) (NWT does not corrupt)
- Jude 1:3 - ...once for all delivered to the saints (NWT does not corrupt)
When did the Church begin?
Make Sure of All Things, p. 364 and Reconciliation, p. 115-116; Christ's kingdom not fully established in AD 33. The church is not the kingdom.
With some research we can see that the church is the kingdom and it was established
- Galatians 4:4 - Jesus came at a fullness of time (NWT does not corrupt)
- Mark 9:1 - kingdom of God come with power (NWT does not corrupt)
- Matthew 16:18-19 - My church (NWT changes, but still clear enough)
- Acts 2:47 - Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved
- Daniel 7:13-14 - everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away...not be destroyed (NWT does not corrupt)
Reconciliation, p. 100-101; There is no godhead consisting or composed of three persons.
The New Testament has many passages referring the Godhead consisting of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- Romans 1:20-21
- Colossians 2:9 - For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. (NWT corrupts)
- Matthew 28:19 - baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost (NWT does not corrupt)
- 2 Corinthians 13:14 - The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God... (NWT does not corrupt)
God and the Son are One.
- John 1:1 - Word was God (their change came in the 1800s) (NWT corrupts)
- John 14:7-11 - If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also (NWT does not corrupt)
- Revelation 22:13-16 - Alpha and Omega, first and last...
- Revelation 1:17 - I am the first and the last: (NWT does not corrupt)
- Revelation 2:8 - first and the last (NWT does not corrupt)
- Exodus 3:14 - God - I AM
- John 8:58 - Before Abraham was, I am
- John 10:30 - I and my Father are one. (NWT does not corrupt)
- John 17:11 - Are one (NWT does not corrupt)
- Philippians 2:6-7 - thought it not robbery to be equal with God (NWT corrupts and does not makes since)
- 1 Timothy 3:16 - God was manifest in flesh (NWT corrupts (changes God to He))
- Isaiah 9:6 - His name shall be...everlasting Father (NWT does not corrupt) use it!
Jesus is worshiped on earth, but not good men
Reconciliation, page 111 "In truth, when Jesus was on earth He was a perfect man, nothing more and nothing less."
According the the bible Jesus was the Son of God and much more than a perfect man.
- Matthew 9:6-8 - Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins (NWT does not corrupt)
Jesus accepts worship as God, but not good men.
- Matthew 8:2 - there came a leper and worshiped him (NWT corrupts)
- Matthew 1:23 - his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. (NWT does not corrupt)
- Acts 10:26 - I myself also am a man. (NWT does not corrupt)
Was Jesus Christ body resurrected?
Deliverance, p. 170 and The Time Is At Hand, p. 129; Jesus' body not raised but preserved somewhere or dissolved into gases.
These passages below clearly go against the Jehovah Witness statement above.
- Matthew 28:5-6 - for he is risen (NWT does not corrupt)
- Luke 24:39 - Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself... (speaking after resurrection) (NWT does not corrupt)
- Acts 2:31-32 - neither his flesh did see corruption
Arguments the Jehovah Witnesses will use
- Tries to disprove the Godhead: Was Jesus dead? Who resurrected him?
- Proverbs 3:5 - do not lean on your own understanding
- Romans 12:16 - do not be wise in your own opinion
- Refer to "God and the Son are One" and "Moreover, the Godhead"
- Also, who has the power? John 10:17-18
- Acts 15:1 - They use this passage to make early Christians look false
- Acts 15:24 - The lie is corrected.
- God's only true name is Jehovah
- John 1:1
- Jude 3
- Isaiah 9:6
- Jesus is not God, but the arch-angel Michael
- Hebrews 1:1-14 (do not forget verse 5)
- Revelation 1:12-18 - (make sure to read 17 and 18) I am the First and the Last.
- Malachi 3:6 compare with Hebrews 13:8
- Colossians 1:15 - They try to claim that Jesus was the first creature (Make Sure of all Things, p. 207)
- Read to verse 20
- Acts 2:31 - His soul was not left in hades (sheol) - Psalms 16:10
- Romans 6:5 - we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection
- 1 Corinthians 15:20-23 - become the firstfruits of them that slept
- Galatians 1:6-9 - What happens if they keep teaching their lie? (NWT does not corrupt)
- Why do you go beyond what is written? (1 Corinthians 4:6) (NWT does not corrupt)
Quick Charles Taze Russell facts
- Born 1852, Death 1916
- Started his teaching around 1870
- Declared that in 1878 the rapture of the saints would take place
- This created a split between his associates
- Blamed his failure on Christian traditions
- Married Maria Frances Ackley in 1879 after a few months' acquaintance
- marriage was based on a mutually agreed celibate partnership
- June 1903 Mrs. Russell filed in the Court of Common Pleas at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania a suit for legal separation
- 1906, she sued him for divorce under the claim of mental cruelty as a result of their marriage agreement of perpetual celibacy
- 1881 Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society was founded for the purpose of disseminating tracts, papers, doctrinal treatises and Bibles
Quick Jehovah Witness facts
- Have a top down organization (watchtower)
- Not supported in the bible