What is a Christian?
The bible refers to the word Christian(s) three times: Acts 11:26, Acts 26:28, and
1 Peter 4:16. The Greek word used in these passages is Christianos (khris-tee-an-os)
meaning, a Christian, that is, follower of Christ: - Christian. Therefore, if we
call ourselves Christians we must follow Christ by doing what he has said. (Romans
2:13; James 1:22)
Before God was manifested in the flesh (1 Timothy 3:16), those who loved God were
given examples of how to live a righteous life.
The rewards for following God's commandments:
- The Commandment: Genesis 6:13-22
- The Reward: Genesis 8:21
- The Commandment: Genesis 22:2
- The Reward: Genesis 22:16-18
The consequences for not following God's commandments:
- Adam and Eve
- The Commandment: Genesis 2:16-17
- The Consequence: Genesis 3:14-19; Genesis 3:23-24
- The Commandment: Genesis 19:17
- The Consequence: Genesis 19:26
- Luke 9:62
- The Commandment: Numbers 20:8
- The Consequence: Numbers 20:11-12 (notice how believe is used here)
Some may say that God would never punish them because he is a loving God. Albeit God is love, he is also just.
- 2 Peter 2:4-9 – God did not spare the angles who sinned.
Therefore, if we follow Christ today by obeying his word we receive the reward (John
3:16; Romans 2:7-11; Hebrews 5:9) However, if do not obey him, we reap the consequences
(Matthew 10:28; Luke 12:4-5)
Thus, to be a follower of Christ today we must be as sheep
- John 10:7-18
John 12:26 – Here Jesus refers to those who follow him as his servants.
- Matthew 8:5-10
- Galatians 1:10-12
- 1 Corinthians 7:21-23
If we are going to follow Christ, be His sheep, and be His servant, we must do as he commands.
- Matthew 7:24-27
- Romans 10:14-17 (we cannot have faith without hearing!)
- John 3:16
- Hebrews 11:6
- The reason is Romans 3:23.
- Luke 13:2-5
- Luke 24:45-47
- Acts 3:19
- Matthew 10:32-33
- Mark 16:16
- Romans 10:14
- Acts 22:16
- John 3:3-5
- 1 Peter 3:20-21
When we are baptized into Christ (Romans 6:3-6) and received the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38), we become son's of God through Christ.
- Galatians 4:1-7
- Romans 6:17
Therefore, we must be faithful sons until death
- Hebrews 10:26
- John 14:15-21
- Revelation 2:10
- Revelation 3:3 (we must always be watchful)